Monday, December 21, 2015

Company of Upgrades

I love a good World War II game.  Planes, tanks or ground combat it doesn't matter.  There's so much material to work with it's no wonder it's one of the most used settings in the video game world.  The problem is I'm also something of a amateur historian.  The two don't mesh well.

I reloaded Company of Heroes yesterday because I never played it much the first time.  After a few games I realized why.  It's the upgrades!  All those buildings and units that need constant rechecking to see if I can upgrade them.  What the heck?  This is where my little knowledge of history ruins my enjoyment of an otherwise fantastic game.

If you wanted to take a crossroads in 1944 you'd round up what units you could find, load up what gear you could scrounge and take it.  What you didn't do is send a single squad of engineers and expect them to build an entire forward command post in a contested area.  It just doesn't make sense.

You know what, that's okay.  If you want extensive, realistic World War II simulator then you can go play something like Hearts of Iron.  There's something for everyone.  Too much realism isn't always a good thing. So you know what?  Company of Heroes gets a thumbs up.  I did get to put a huge wall of artillery on a ridge and pummel Panzers.  There's nothing wrong with that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment